The BSCA have established the Barry Statham Travel Award to attend the ESCD and ACDS meetings. This is in memory of Dr Barry Statham, Consultant Dermatologist in Swansea, and a tribute to his huge contributions to Cutaneous Allergy.
Barry was a very humble & true gentleman who is missed immensely by his family, friends and colleagues after his sudden death in 2012.
His many achievements included:
President of BSCA 2006-2009 (previously
- Active committee member of the ESCD and loved attending this meeting.
- Key role in developing databases still used widely in many centres in the UK.
- Data collection has been instrumental in UK multicentre publications and is key in audit of patch testing centres.
Key founding member of South Wales
Cutaneous Allergy Network in 2002
- 2-3 yearly meetings which led to Annual meeting (9th meeting in 2019)
Key contributor ESSCA (European Surveillance
System on Cutaneous Allergies)
- Sister society of EADV
- Many multicentre European publications now widely quoted & referenced
- Barry played a key role in the BAD working party developing UK minimum standards for cutaneous allergy services.
- Barry trained scores of registrars in Swansea on the Welsh training scheme and they all benefitted from his teaching, training and valued educational supervision which was always highly rated. He was always helpful, and an extremely knowledgeable colleague.
- He was a dedicated family man and leaves behind Jan his loving wife and his daughter Jo and son Paul and grandchildren.
The BSCA would like to acknowledge Barry’s huge commitment and contributions to cutaneous allergy services and training in Wales and the UK and the BSCA Travel Award is in his name and honour.